Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a USB-C cable between two macs with Migration Assistant to transfer content to a new MacBook?

The support page (link below) only describes transferring content wirelessly or with Time Machine, both of which methods I have found unreliable in the past.

For example, the application permissions did not transfer and I had to find the correct codes or contact the software company or even buy a new copy of the software. (Any suggestions?)

In the past, I've had the best luck transferring all my data by connecting a new mac to the old mac with a cable, but Apple doesn't seem to be supporting this method anymore. Any suggestions?

Transfer your data to your new MacBook Pro - Apple Support

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 7:02 PM

Transfer your data to your new MacBook Pro - Apple Support may not indicate that option, but the document linked within it Transfer your information to Mac from another computer or device - Apple Support still does:

"Connect the two computers with a cable (such as Ethernet or Thunderbolt) or make sure they’re connected to the same wired or wireless network."

I've always migrated wirelessly but I understand some locations have challenging wireless environments.

I had to find the correct codes or contact the software company or even buy a new copy of the software.

It is my understanding that some developers link their license to the specific hardware on which it is installed. Please refer to this Discussion: AppleCare+ MacBook Pro M1 board replacement nukes Microsoft Perpetual License - Apple Community.

If that story is in fact true (there are conflicting reports about it) then using a cable won't make any difference.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2022 7:02 PM in response to Arandel

Transfer your data to your new MacBook Pro - Apple Support may not indicate that option, but the document linked within it Transfer your information to Mac from another computer or device - Apple Support still does:

"Connect the two computers with a cable (such as Ethernet or Thunderbolt) or make sure they’re connected to the same wired or wireless network."

I've always migrated wirelessly but I understand some locations have challenging wireless environments.

I had to find the correct codes or contact the software company or even buy a new copy of the software.

It is my understanding that some developers link their license to the specific hardware on which it is installed. Please refer to this Discussion: AppleCare+ MacBook Pro M1 board replacement nukes Microsoft Perpetual License - Apple Community.

If that story is in fact true (there are conflicting reports about it) then using a cable won't make any difference.

Can I use a USB-C cable between two macs with Migration Assistant to transfer content to a new MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.