Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Mail v16.0

Each time I try to send a new email, I finish typing the TO address and if I hit either RETURN or TAB, the FROM address automatically changes, at that moment, to another email account of mine that is totally unrelated and sometimes even a different business.

I have updated to the latest OS 12.5 thinking that maybe that would fix it, but still doing the same thing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 7:01 AM

mike32869 wrote:

Each time I try to send a new email, I finish typing the TO address and if I hit either RETURN or TAB, the FROM address automatically changes, at that moment, to another email account of mine that is totally unrelated and sometimes even a different business.

I have updated to the latest OS 12.5 thinking that maybe that would fix it, but still doing the same thing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

You can choose the default or set to automatic if it is a reply.

Mail>Preferences>Compose

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2022 7:01 AM in response to mike32869

mike32869 wrote:

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

You can choose the default or set to automatic if it is a reply.

Mail>Preferences>Compose

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Jul 23, 2022 3:53 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for this, but I believe that's the problem. When you open a NEW email to send and then populate all of the fields, etc. The FROM address is automatically selected by the account you're using as it is highlighted in the LEFT column of the mail client. The FROM address should stay on this email address unless it is manually changed.

Setting a default address means that the same email address will be selected, regardless of what account you are using, and will have to be manually changed every time.

My problem is: The FROM address is correct when I open a NEW email to send, based on the selected account on the LEFT. When I hit RETURN or TAB the FROM email changes to another random email address from one of my other accounts. Why is it doing this? I never had this issue before.

Problems with Mail v16.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.