You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app takes too much storage

My mail app on ipad pro has taken up 95gb. I removed my email account and tried to delete the mail app.(which you cannot do) the 95 gb is still there in storage. If I do a factory reset can I selectivly reinstall from Icloud backup without the mail data being retained?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 11:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 12:57 PM

Restore from an iCloud or iTunes backup is all-or-nothing; a selective restore is not possible.

However, for email this limitation is immaterial - as email is not included in an iCloud or iTunes backup. Instead it is assumed that the email messages remain available on your Mail-provider’s mail server. As such, erasing the iPad will remove all data - including locally stored copies of your email messages. When you re-add your email account to your iPad, a copy of your email messages will again be downloaded from the mail server.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 23, 2022 12:57 PM in response to DavidByronE

Restore from an iCloud or iTunes backup is all-or-nothing; a selective restore is not possible.

However, for email this limitation is immaterial - as email is not included in an iCloud or iTunes backup. Instead it is assumed that the email messages remain available on your Mail-provider’s mail server. As such, erasing the iPad will remove all data - including locally stored copies of your email messages. When you re-add your email account to your iPad, a copy of your email messages will again be downloaded from the mail server.

Mail app takes too much storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.