Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password reset tool for an old MacBook Pro does not seem to work correctly

I am trying to access an old MacBook that hasn’t been used in a long time, so no one remembers the password to it. After failing the password 3 times, it allows me to reset it using an Apple ID. I choose this option and it goes as follows:

Type in Apple ID and password

Type in verification code

Screen says it’s recovering FileVault key

Next it says a recovery key was found and it’s examining users on the volume

Supposedly, I should then be able to create a new password, but instead I get to a screen saying the user account password was reset and I have to reboot, even though I didn’t change any password.

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 9:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 9:36 PM

Fish_2022 Said:

"Password reset tool for an old MacBook Pro does not seem to work correctly: [...]Supposedly, I should then be able to create a new password, but instead I get to a screen saying the user account password was reset and I have to reboot, even though I didn’t change any password."

-------

Troubleshooting a Reset Password:

Reboot, then login and change the password. It is reset on its own. So, log in with the password, and then change it. Go here: Change or Reset the Password of a macOS User Account in macOS Mojave or Earlier - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2022 9:36 PM in response to Fish_2022

Fish_2022 Said:

"Password reset tool for an old MacBook Pro does not seem to work correctly: [...]Supposedly, I should then be able to create a new password, but instead I get to a screen saying the user account password was reset and I have to reboot, even though I didn’t change any password."

-------

Troubleshooting a Reset Password:

Reboot, then login and change the password. It is reset on its own. So, log in with the password, and then change it. Go here: Change or Reset the Password of a macOS User Account in macOS Mojave or Earlier - Apple Support

Jul 23, 2022 10:08 PM in response to Fish_2022

Fish_2022 Said:

"Password reset tool for an old MacBook Pro does not seem to work correctly: I’m sorry, but I’m not sure if I understand. What do you mean it 'reset on its own'? How do I 'login with the password and then change it' if I don’t know the password since it reset itself?"

-------

IOW: It provides your with a temporary passcode. If you don't have the passcode, then perform as instructed above.

Password reset tool for an old MacBook Pro does not seem to work correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.