Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Force touch and Haptic Feedback option missing from settings after installing Big Sur

I have a mid 2014 MacBook pro with haptic feedback in the trackpad that worked perfectly until upgrading to Big Sur. Now it doesn't work, you can't push the trackpad to click, you can't select text, and there isn't even an option to turn it on in settings (the area below "Tap to click" where it should say "Force click and Haptic feedback" is blank). I have tried updating software, resetting SMC, PRAM etc. but nothing gets the option back. I don't think the hardware is broken because it was working perfectly until the software update.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 1:31 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 24, 2022 3:29 PM in response to ipb1985

You're welcome. I see you're also missing the Click slider. Something you could try is moving "~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist" to the Trash but don't empty the Trash. Open System Preferences > Trackpad again and see if the settings reappear. If they do you can empty the Trash. If not, you can open the Trash, control click on the .plist file and select "Put Back". Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Force touch and Haptic Feedback option missing from settings after installing Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.