Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer Windows OS to new Mac

Hello, I currently own a 2020 MacBook Air (i5 1.1Ghz, 16gb Ram) and have both MacOS and Windows (VIA Bootcamp) and need to upgrade to a faster machine for work/school. I am interested in the MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32gb Ram) and am wondering if:

1. The 2022 MacBook Pro 14 (M1 Max) will support Windows 10 using Bootcamp?
  2. Would I be able to transfer my current Windows OS to the new Mac, or would I have to repurchase the software?

Thank you!

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 4:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 4:32 PM

alexschmidt02 wrote:

Can I run Windows using Parallels or an alternative method?

Not easily. You would need both virtualization and emulation to run Intel x86-64 operating system on an Apple silicon AArch64 processor; QEMU or UTM, etc. Not with support. Microsoft isn’t (presently?) selling any version of Windows for Apple silicon Macs, though some folks have gotten an unsupported-on-Mac AArch64 version going using the Windows Insiders distribution.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2022 4:32 PM in response to alexschmidt02

alexschmidt02 wrote:

Can I run Windows using Parallels or an alternative method?

Not easily. You would need both virtualization and emulation to run Intel x86-64 operating system on an Apple silicon AArch64 processor; QEMU or UTM, etc. Not with support. Microsoft isn’t (presently?) selling any version of Windows for Apple silicon Macs, though some folks have gotten an unsupported-on-Mac AArch64 version going using the Windows Insiders distribution.

Transfer Windows OS to new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.