Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to slowdown the playback speed in FCP

Is it possible to slowdown the playback speed in the viewer. I know that I can increase the playback speed of the timeline by pressing L several times. Is there a way to opposite, slow the playback down so that the timeline plays slower?

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 9:23 PM

Ian's suggestion of using Retime is probably best. Command-R the clip, select the downward pointing caret and select Slow > 50%, 25% or 10%, then you can do the same and select Normal to go back to full speed.

If you type the '/' key for a selection, the playback will loop until you stop it. [Selection can be a selected clip, selected group of clips, or a simple *range* selection...] Shift-/ will go back 2 seconds and play to 2 seconds past the playhead — when you stop playback, the playhead is returned to its starting position (where it was when you typed Shift-/).

HTH

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2022 9:23 PM in response to Larrie Easterly

Ian's suggestion of using Retime is probably best. Command-R the clip, select the downward pointing caret and select Slow > 50%, 25% or 10%, then you can do the same and select Normal to go back to full speed.

If you type the '/' key for a selection, the playback will loop until you stop it. [Selection can be a selected clip, selected group of clips, or a simple *range* selection...] Shift-/ will go back 2 seconds and play to 2 seconds past the playhead — when you stop playback, the playhead is returned to its starting position (where it was when you typed Shift-/).

HTH

Jul 25, 2022 2:19 PM in response to Larrie Easterly

I've starting developing a Slow Speed template/plugin and I would also be interested as to why you would need to do this as well.

My "plugin" (Effect) can reset the playback speed all the way down to a still frame (plus offset the start of the play range). This is a variation of one I've already published which allows you to keyframe an internal playhead (so playback frames in any order forwards or backwards... plus a few other features, but not really applicable to your request.)

Effects can be set up and then simply turned on/off as needed. No need to continually add/remove them while working.

How to slowdown the playback speed in FCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.