Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.1.4: changing speed changes cursor position

During playing the movie for editing, if I change the speed, the cursor position changes. How can I change the playback speed with the cursor being left in the same position?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 9:43 AM

Hi,

By cursor I assume that you mean the playhead. The playhead is remaining fixed. But by changing the speed of the clip you are expanding or contracting the clip's display on the timeline, so the fixed playhead is at a different point in the clip. No way to change that.

What you can do is, before you change the speed, add a marker (Mark/Add Marker) to mark the position of the playhead. Then after the clip expands or contracts when you change speed you can move the playhead to the marker that you had set. That will put the playhead back at the same point in the clip that it was before you changed the speed.

-- Rich

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2020 9:43 AM in response to AlWil

Hi,

By cursor I assume that you mean the playhead. The playhead is remaining fixed. But by changing the speed of the clip you are expanding or contracting the clip's display on the timeline, so the fixed playhead is at a different point in the clip. No way to change that.

What you can do is, before you change the speed, add a marker (Mark/Add Marker) to mark the position of the playhead. Then after the clip expands or contracts when you change speed you can move the playhead to the marker that you had set. That will put the playhead back at the same point in the clip that it was before you changed the speed.

-- Rich

-- Rich

10.1.4: changing speed changes cursor position

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.