Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BenQ monitor charging

Hi, I have been using my benQ monitor for a week now and I want to know if charging my MacBook Air M1 all the time when the monitor is in use can affect my MacBook battery for the longer run.

My Macbook came with a 30W adapter and this benQ monitor is having a 110W adapter but a power delivery of 70W through USB C connectivity. So, whenever I switch on my monitor my MacBook starts to charge. Is that good for battery health? Or should I just leave that to the MacOS to figure out what's best.

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 4:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 10:49 AM

Leaving it on AC most of the time (whether through the AC brick or a display) will not harm your battery when you leave it to MacOS, because battery optimization is built into your M1 Mac. If you run connected to the display most of the time, your Mac will learn that and will pause charging with the battery at 80% full, to preserve battery longevity. If you show the battery status in the menu bar (System Preferences > Battery > Battery tab) you can click it for a drop-down menu option to charge to full immediately, for example if you know you'll need to run on battery for a long time soon.

Also, it doesn't matter that the display provides 70W and your Mac only needs 30W, the USB Power Delivery protocol lets the device 'negotiate' the amount of power it draws from the supply.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2022 10:49 AM in response to urnlunaticguy

Leaving it on AC most of the time (whether through the AC brick or a display) will not harm your battery when you leave it to MacOS, because battery optimization is built into your M1 Mac. If you run connected to the display most of the time, your Mac will learn that and will pause charging with the battery at 80% full, to preserve battery longevity. If you show the battery status in the menu bar (System Preferences > Battery > Battery tab) you can click it for a drop-down menu option to charge to full immediately, for example if you know you'll need to run on battery for a long time soon.

Also, it doesn't matter that the display provides 70W and your Mac only needs 30W, the USB Power Delivery protocol lets the device 'negotiate' the amount of power it draws from the supply.

BenQ monitor charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.