Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect iMac to Dell Monitor - does not recognize

Purchased an iMac in 2021 and trying to connect an additional monitor, it is a Dell. HDMI from Dell monitor to HDMI/C adapter into the back of the new iMac. The iMac is not finding it. I am accessing the Display preferences through System Preferences and clicking on "Add Display". Have restarted Mac; made sure my connections are solid, but no connection. What am I doing wrong?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 7:19 AM

See this instructions, on the new Mac you need to connect displays via thunderbolt

Connect a display to your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

• On MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, iMac and Mac mini, you can connect one external display using either of the Thunderbolt/USB 4 ports. On iMac, connect your display to either of the ports with the Thunderbolt symbol .

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2022 7:19 AM in response to cryforhelp

See this instructions, on the new Mac you need to connect displays via thunderbolt

Connect a display to your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

• On MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, iMac and Mac mini, you can connect one external display using either of the Thunderbolt/USB 4 ports. On iMac, connect your display to either of the ports with the Thunderbolt symbol .

Jul 25, 2022 7:39 AM in response to WheelieNick

• Thank you for the link above, most helpful. Here is what is mentioned:
    • Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colors and:
      • One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz

So now I know it can support one external display, how do I get the iMac to recognize it? I have read through the connection suggestions, all is good there. Any additional suggestions?

Thanks

Wendy

Connect iMac to Dell Monitor - does not recognize

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.