Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anybody been able to successfully connect a 30" cinemadisplay monitor to an iMac? I purchased the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter, and it doesn't work.

Here's diagram of what I am trying to do. So far, I have tried connecting via adapter to two devices: my 2012 iMac and my 2012 MacBookPro. While from what I have read, this setup should work, my Cinemadisplay monitor refuses to show image - just a black screen. But in the computers, in Display preferences, the CD shows up. Any suggestions on what else I can try?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 7:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 8:48 PM

The power cord is unlikely to be the problem. Are you sure you have the correct power brick. 150 W.

https://www.macpalace.com/661-3356-apple-cinema-display-30-inch-power-adapter-150-w.html

There are two lower power models, made for the 20" and 23" displays, that will give the error code.

15 replies

Apr 4, 2020 8:07 PM in response to Jeff Marsh

Thanks for the response, and please pardon my lack of technical expertise. I am a designer, and this is not my forté.

I have my USB from adapter already going into my computer, so shouldn't that power the adapter? I tried a couple different USB ports, but same results.

I get the feeling my monitor isn't getting the juice it needs to power up, even though the iMac Display Preferences recognizes it. The small power light on the CinemaDisplay throbs on and off. But screen remains black with this set up.

Is it possible my power cable isn't correct? Have you run across that type of situation? It appears to be an aftermarket black power cord, rated to 300V.

Apr 4, 2020 8:12 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

My adapter's USB plug is indeed plugged into my iMac USB port on back. But cinemadisplay screen still won't light up, and brightness controls on side won't do anything.

Interestingly, in my display preferences - options - when I try and change my display power button settings, even after I open permissions and change to "Turns display on and off", lock permissions, then reopen preferences, the option has changed back to "Does nothing."

Maybe that tells you something about what is going on?

Apr 4, 2020 8:36 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

I'm getting short-long-short. Which makes me wonder if it is indeed the power cord, which is aftermarket, attached to the Cinema Display power brick.

I have ordered a new cord off ebay, and will try that when it arrives.

FYI: I did try plugging the USB from adapter into an iPhone charger plugged into wall, but so luck.

You might have identified the problem. Fingers crossed.

Thanks much! I'm so glad you guys are out there, and are willing to share what you know!

If it's not the cord, do you think it worth my while to hunt down another power brick?

Apr 4, 2020 7:32 PM in response to giallopudding

I stumbled around but finally got it to work (30" Apple Cinema Display with a new Mac Pro). The adapter is bus powered, so the usb cable on the adapter needs to be plugged in to the computer to receive power. It did not work using a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter, but I have a hub that has a display port (the same size as Thunderbolt 2). The usb cable on the other end does not need to connect to the display as described in the description on this site.

I'm losing a USB port on my computer to use this. I'm wondering if an Apple power adapter would work, like the ones we get with our iPhones (like the one in your drawing?). But, if you're having trouble try using a port on the computer.

Let us know if you are successful. And let us know if the iPhone adapter works.

Apr 4, 2020 8:25 PM in response to giallopudding

The flashing light on the display is an error code.

If one of the Apple LCD displays detects an error condition, the power LED will flash in a certain pattern to indicate the issue.

Pattern Meaning:

Short, short, short. The display is detecting wrong video format or an unsupported resolution.

Verify that your equipment is compatible and restart the computer. If the issue continues, reset the PRAM.

Short, long, short. Make sure you are using the correct power adapter with the display. This alert will only appear on displays built in 2004 or later which require an external power adapter.

Short, short, long. The display is detecting a backlight error. Check your display's power connections and restart the computer. If the problem continues, contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Has anybody been able to successfully connect a 30" cinemadisplay monitor to an iMac? I purchased the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter, and it doesn't work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.