Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey 12.5 Update fails to prepare update

Hi everyone: I have tried to update to macOS Monterey 12.5 three times, and the same thing keeps happening. It says that there was a failure to prepare the update. So, the update is completely downloaded and then hits this problem and tells me to try again later. Anyone know why this is happening?

Thank you in advance!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 3:44 PM

rr7MacGuy wrote:

Hi everyone: I have tried to update to macOS Monterey 12.5 three times, and the same thing keeps happening. It says that there was a failure to prepare the update. So, the update is completely downloaded and then hits this problem and tells me to try again later. Anyone know why this is happening?
Thank you in advance!

How much free storage do you have on your SSD? Typically drives need at least 15% free storage to operate efficiently.

If that is not an issue, then try login into a Safeboot and launch the installer from that environment.

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2022 3:44 PM in response to rr7MacGuy

rr7MacGuy wrote:

Thank you in advance!

How much free storage do you have on your SSD? Typically drives need at least 15% free storage to operate efficiently.

If that is not an issue, then try login into a Safeboot and launch the installer from that environment.

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Monterey 12.5 Update fails to prepare update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.