Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iTunes media folder keeps resetting to default

This question seems to have been asked before, but it was never actually answered so I am just asking it again:

Why does iTunes keep resetting my media folder location to <user>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media?

I don't want it there. I have like 100 gb of audio files, I don't want to have those stored on my local SSD with limited capacity. I want to have them on my NAS drive.

I keep resetting it to the NAS drive location, and each time it needs to re-index / re-build everying I HAVE ALREADY STORED THERE. And we're talking about 12 thousand audio files.

Please, please, please tell me how I prevent this from happening. I'm totally fed up with this. As a bug this really couldn't be more annoying.

Before I spotted this my audio files tended to distribute over different folders. My NAS drive location and my local SSD folder. Which is just terrible. I now know it happens, but don't tell me I have to change my media folder every time I start iTunes. That would be worse than bad.

Posted on Jul 26, 2022 11:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 3:12 AM

There is a bug in recent builds of iTunes that, at least for some users, seems to stop this preference from being saved properly. I'd normally suggest you rearrange the library into a shape that isn't affected by this issue (see Make a split library portable - Apple Community) but that isn't ideal if you want the data on NAS. I'd probably go for primary copy of the library on an external drive with the NAS hosting a backup, but presuming that isn't what you want to do you could try temporarily rolling back to iTunes 12.9.3.3 and see if that will allow your media folder preference to stick.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2022 3:12 AM in response to Molurus

There is a bug in recent builds of iTunes that, at least for some users, seems to stop this preference from being saved properly. I'd normally suggest you rearrange the library into a shape that isn't affected by this issue (see Make a split library portable - Apple Community) but that isn't ideal if you want the data on NAS. I'd probably go for primary copy of the library on an external drive with the NAS hosting a backup, but presuming that isn't what you want to do you could try temporarily rolling back to iTunes 12.9.3.3 and see if that will allow your media folder preference to stick.

tt2

My iTunes media folder keeps resetting to default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.