Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firefox is missing from System Preferences - Privacy & Security

I've never been able to use the camera or microphone or anything else within Firefox on my MacBook Air. Within Firefox the permissions have been allowed on the website, yet both of them still don't work.

Online others have said that you have to grant Firefox permission from within System Preferences - Privacy & Security. Yet for me there is no Firefox on the list next to Camera or Microphone.

I'd appreciate your assistance. Thanks.

specs:

MacBook Air

macOS Big Sur

Firefox the latest update 103.0

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 12:41 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

Jul 28, 2022 6:30 AM in response to rocket_cherry

rocket_cherry wrote:

I've enabled permission within the webpage itself. and it displays that the microphone and camera are "temporarily allowed". Yet neither will work because permission isn't granted within Apple's System Preferences.

FWIW, tested FF 103 on https://webcamtests.com/ and the webcam works fine. I didn't have to enable access in System Preferences at all.

Jul 28, 2022 11:16 PM in response to rocket_cherry

My System Preferences screen is supposed to show these 2 images (white background images below) but NOT for me (dark mode images are from my Mac).

I don't have this option to tick (or add with the +) in my System Preferences - there is no Firefox on my list as shown.

Also my Mac doesn't give me a pop up to let me know that "Firefox would like to access the camera". Ditto for the microphone.

Jul 28, 2022 7:18 AM in response to dialabrain

Did you take a look at System Preferences->Security & Privacy->Privacy->Camera?

If you allow the access above, it should have added Firefox in there.

I just did a quick test, and it went as follows (NOTE: I had not tried to use Firefox with the camera before)

First round:

1) Open the site you posted

2) When asked, click OK

3) The webcam worked

4) I checked System Preferences->Security & Privacy->Privacy->Camera and Firefox was there, and its box was checked

Second round:

2) When asked, click "Don't Allow"

3) The site did NOT get access to the webcam (as expected)

4) No change happened in System Preferences->Security & Privacy->Privacy->Camera

Third round:

0) Go to System Preferences->Security & Privacy->Privacy->Camera, and UNchecked Firefox

2) When asked, click OK - NO CAMERA ACCESS

So, to sum up, everything appears to be working as expected on my mac...

Jul 28, 2022 7:31 AM in response to dialabrain

dialabrain wrote:

I guess I should have been more specific. Yes, once I allowed Firefox from the dialog window I posted, Firefox was added to Camera. I was only saying I didn't have to open System Preferences and add it myself.

Yes, and to be absolutely clear, for the benefit of the OP: you couldn't even if you wanted. There is not + button in there.

It is absolutely necessary that the application requests access.

Firefox is missing from System Preferences - Privacy & Security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.