Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Cannot grant mic/camera permissions to apps (ex. Discord, zoom)

Hello,

I cannot seem to use any mic/camera feature in any third party app. My MacBook Pro is running macOS Monterey, fairly modern enough. My understanding is that these apps need to request for permission to use the microphone or camera, and as the user I would need to approve that in System Preferences. However, there are no requests for me to approve, and unlike the Accessibility tab where I can click a (+) symbol to manually add apps, I cannot do that in the Camera and Microphone tabs. I've looked online and it seems that this is a somewhat common issue for many, but I was unable to find any working solution. Discord and Zoom aren't able to use my microphone nor camera. I appreciate the safety features that are implemented in macOS, but it is now a hinderance and simply quite annoying.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 9:37 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 13, 2023 12:02 AM in response to neko_marsh

Hi neko_marsh

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: Cannot grant mic/camera permissions to apps (ex. Discord, zoom)

Try opening Safari app ... and going to Safari > Preferences > Websites (top menu)

Select Camera in the sidebar, and choose (ask, allow, or deny) for the various apps.

then

Select Microphone "" ""

Then go to Apple menu > System preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy

Again select Camera in the sidebar : tick to allow apps access to the camera

Then select Microphone. "" "" """

All the best :-)

Sep 7, 2023 1:26 PM in response to brbo

It didn't work for me either.

First, adding websites in Safari is not adding an app and I don't see how that would work even before I started but I did anyway because there is no other way as far as I can tell.

The app (in my case Chrome) doesn't show under camera under Privacy and Security.

And it never asks to allow camera.

In my case it asked for mic access, I allowed it and the mic works fine, and it's using the mic from the iPhone but it never asks to allow the camera.

My two other browsers (Brave and Slimjet —two chromium based browsers) show and work fine with my camera and mic access.

?????

Cannot grant mic/camera permissions to apps (ex. Discord, zoom)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.