Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail size column does not include attachment size

Just upgraded to Monterey - On Mac mail, size column no longer includes the attachment size. I used to view the mails sorted by size to delete the biggest first, but now the size column does not include the attachment size. Cannot find any way to change this - I expect this was a MacOS/Mail upgrade change. The mailbox concerned is on an ISP server, and my other machine (on Catalina) still does include the attachment size when sorting on size. Is there any way in Monterey Mail of showing emails in total size order?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 1:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 3:48 AM

Well - I confess this problem has just disappeared ! After a few days connected, all the mails show the correct size now - must have been the mail catching up with the mail server on the new machine. Thanks for all the replies, it seems to have been simply a matter of being connected long enough for the full information to come through.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2022 3:48 AM in response to dialabrain

Well - I confess this problem has just disappeared ! After a few days connected, all the mails show the correct size now - must have been the mail catching up with the mail server on the new machine. Thanks for all the replies, it seems to have been simply a matter of being connected long enough for the full information to come through.

Jul 27, 2022 6:08 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks, but this is not so in the mailboxes that I see. I have checked some of the old messages saved save under On My Mac, and the message size shown for them does indeed include the attachment size - (those messages were downloaded and saved under Catalina). But the mailboxes message size does not include the attachment sizes under Monterey, which it does under Catalina. I have IMAP mailboxes from two providers and the mail behaviour is the same with accounts from both providers. The Mail accounts settings are IMAP, and all settings are identical on the two machines.

I attach two pics - the size of same email in the same IMAP mailbox viewed from Mac mail on the two Macs. 

Catalina -

Monterey -

Mac Mail size column does not include attachment size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.