Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac check spelling not working

The "check spelling while typing" and "correct spelling automatically" options under "Edit"-"Spelling and Grammar" menu cannot be toggled on or off for my Notes, Mail and supposedly some other apps.

Normally if I click one of the options, a tick should appear or disappear to the left of the option title. But apparently I cannot toggle on or off these two options for Notes and Mail app at all, i.e. when I click the options nothing would happen, and these two functions would not work for these two apps either.

However the check spelling for Pages, Keynotes, Numbers etc and other apps would work normally, and can be toggled on and off.

I tried restarting the apps, resetting autocorrect for the whole Mac in System Preferences, restarting the Mac, and tried some Terminal codes from the Internet, but none would work. Apparently I have not encountered a similar situation on the forum either.

I'm on MacOS Monterey by the way. This problem has been there for like about a year already. Please help guys. Thanks.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 1:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 2:26 AM

I tried reinstalling and deleting the Grammarly app, and autocorrect works for all my apps now!

It IS indeed caused by Grammarly all along. I installed and deleted the app like a year ago and autocorrect seemed to cease working afterwards. Thanks for your app recommendation still!

Really appreciate your help! Thanks a bunch!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2022 2:26 AM in response to PRP_53

I tried reinstalling and deleting the Grammarly app, and autocorrect works for all my apps now!

It IS indeed caused by Grammarly all along. I installed and deleted the app like a year ago and autocorrect seemed to cease working afterwards. Thanks for your app recommendation still!

Really appreciate your help! Thanks a bunch!

Jul 27, 2022 2:05 AM in response to Teddy0606

Has the computer had Grammarly application installed and since removed ?

As per image below the Enable Spelling and Grammar is not available ?

If that is accurate

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world. 

Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

The next best thing for us to having a semi - actual On-Hand experience  with this computer is to follow the steps below

Download the Application Etrecheck directly from an ASC Contributor ( Not me ). And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Mac check spelling not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.