Newsroom Update

watchOS 11 brings powerful health and fitness insights. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch doesn't always detect Stand time

Hey,

I have a Series 7 Apple Watch.

It doesn't always detect Stand hours properly!

Sometimes I'll be active for a full hour, and it will not see this - it'll show has "Idle Hour"... and sometimes, it'll ask me to stand, and before I've stood up, it'll show as "You did it!" and show I've stood up?

It has the latest updates.

Thanks!

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 4:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 7:20 AM

The Apple Watch accelerometer ONLY detects your Apple Watch arm swinging back and forth as if you were walking with a normal arm swing.

The Apple Watch accelerometer does not know if you are standing, sitting, hanging upside down, or laying in bed, it only knows if your Apple Watch arm has been moving back and forth for 30-40 cycles in a brief interval of time.

Knitters never miss stand time and have huge step counts, while never leaving their chair.

Chefs working in a kitchen on their feet all day, miss their stands, because their Apple Watch tends to be on the non-dominate arm and is used for holding food while chopping, holding pots, pans, plates while moving around the kitchen, holding cooking pans on the stove, but rarely is their Apple Watch arm moving back and forth for 30-40 cycles in a brief interval of time.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2022 7:20 AM in response to scottsalter

The Apple Watch accelerometer ONLY detects your Apple Watch arm swinging back and forth as if you were walking with a normal arm swing.

The Apple Watch accelerometer does not know if you are standing, sitting, hanging upside down, or laying in bed, it only knows if your Apple Watch arm has been moving back and forth for 30-40 cycles in a brief interval of time.

Knitters never miss stand time and have huge step counts, while never leaving their chair.

Chefs working in a kitchen on their feet all day, miss their stands, because their Apple Watch tends to be on the non-dominate arm and is used for holding food while chopping, holding pots, pans, plates while moving around the kitchen, holding cooking pans on the stove, but rarely is their Apple Watch arm moving back and forth for 30-40 cycles in a brief interval of time.

Apple Watch doesn't always detect Stand time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.