Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hidden Files Using 250 GB of Memory

I have a 500 GB hard drive on my MacBook Pro. I store all my files in various folders that are located directly on my desktop. I am a photographer and do some video from time to time which will take up a lot of space. Currently the folders that I store on my desktop contain 199 GB in total. I know the system uses some gigabytes, but I must have at least 250 GB of space taken up by things I don't know where they are. How do I find them to delete them?

Thanks!

Pat M.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 11:51 AM

Hello Pat,

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

For help with locating files using storage on your Mac, check out the following resource. It includes suggestions for optimizing your storage in addition to outlining the steps to see which files are taking up space: Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

We hope that's able to help.

Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2022 11:51 AM in response to pasqualerose2

Hello Pat,

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

For help with locating files using storage on your Mac, check out the following resource. It includes suggestions for optimizing your storage in addition to outlining the steps to see which files are taking up space: Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

We hope that's able to help.

Cheers!

Jul 29, 2022 9:55 AM in response to Brandon_J_321

Thank you. That was helpful. I think part of my problem is that iMovie and Photos both duplicate the media in them. And the media then has to be deleted through the app as well as from the file I'm storing it in on my desktop. And iMovie seems to back up the media when you delete the project. That's kind of odd. It takes up space. I had to go through and delete all the media that is stored under "Events" after I deleted the projects. If I wanted to save the media to a project, then why would I have deleted the project?

Thanks for your help! appreciate it.

Hidden Files Using 250 GB of Memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.