Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

received donated iPad

I received an iPad that was discarded in a electronics recycling center. I have tried to do a factory reset with my iTunes account but I am not able to because the person who discarded the iPad did not remove their personal information and it is set up in their Find My Iphone setting. I need their Apple ID and PW. Because the iPad was basically tossed in the trash by an unknown person I can not ask them for their information to log into their account. I would like a way to wipe the iPad without authentication. Is there a way for this to happen?

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 6:23 PM

hd-judes wrote:

I received an iPad that was discarded in a electronics recycling center. … Is there a way for this to happen?

No. Recycle it. This iPad will never be useful. And no, Apple will not contact the person holding the Activation Lock on your behalf.

3 replies

Jul 27, 2022 6:31 PM in response to hd-judes

Apparently the owner wanted the device recycled. Apple isn’t going to over-ride their decision and remove activation lock on a device Apple does not own. Apple will not do anything at all about or with that device. It is private property sent for recycling and with a owner lock in place to keep others from using it. So activation lock is doing precisely what it was designed to do and which the owner could have changed, had they wished to.

Something put into a recycle bin is not a “donated” item.

received donated iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.