Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I accidentally deleted a conversation in my text, I want it back, what should I do?? Me and that person has already started a new conversation; but I need all the old text messages back.. restore a back up some how?

I accidentally deleted a conversation in my text, I want it back, what should I do?? Me and that person has already started a new conversation; but I need all the old text messages back.. restore a back up some how?

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 6:51 AM

If you are using iCloud Syncing for Messages and you delete a thread, it's gone for good on all of your devices. The messages are not part of any back up.

Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support

If you're not using iCloud Syncing and you have a back up that contains the messages, you can restore your phone from that back up. Note that doing so will completely overwrite everything that is currently on the phone.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

TL;DR No, you probably can't restore them.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2022 6:51 AM in response to FlyGuyPooh

If you are using iCloud Syncing for Messages and you delete a thread, it's gone for good on all of your devices. The messages are not part of any back up.

Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support

If you're not using iCloud Syncing and you have a back up that contains the messages, you can restore your phone from that back up. Note that doing so will completely overwrite everything that is currently on the phone.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

TL;DR No, you probably can't restore them.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.