Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I print without a network?

I have a Canon imageClass MF743Cdw printer which is not connected to a network. Is there a way to print to it from my iPadAir 4 or my iPhone? Both Apple devices have cellular data. Thank you!

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 8:16 AM

Hi,

A Canon MF743Cdw is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a model supporting the AirPrint technology. AirPrint means that an iPad or an iPhone can print without additional apps, provided that the printer and these devices are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi) router. The printer could be wirelessly connected to the Wi-Fi router, or wired by Ethernet to one of the LAN ports. The iPad/iPhone would have to use Wi-Fi.

You could create a simple local Wi-Fi network (hotspot) using almost any Wi-Fi router. You may find one in a thrift shop for a few dollars. This router would not necessarily have to be connected to the Internet.

There are also travel routers, without or with mobile broadband.

According to the following brochure, a Wi-Fi Direct hotspot can be created on the printer itself. However, this may or may not require the use of a special iOS/iPadOS app from the printer manufacturer. Direct Wi-Fi is normally not used with AirPrint; a Wi-Fi router is the supported solution.

https://downloads.canon.com/nw/printer/products/printers-and-multifunction/imageclass-series/color-imageclass-mf743cdw/setup-sheets/ic_mf743cdw_SpecSheet_Final.pdf

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2022 8:16 AM in response to LoseYourself2Dance

Hi,

A Canon MF743Cdw is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a model supporting the AirPrint technology. AirPrint means that an iPad or an iPhone can print without additional apps, provided that the printer and these devices are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi) router. The printer could be wirelessly connected to the Wi-Fi router, or wired by Ethernet to one of the LAN ports. The iPad/iPhone would have to use Wi-Fi.

You could create a simple local Wi-Fi network (hotspot) using almost any Wi-Fi router. You may find one in a thrift shop for a few dollars. This router would not necessarily have to be connected to the Internet.

There are also travel routers, without or with mobile broadband.

According to the following brochure, a Wi-Fi Direct hotspot can be created on the printer itself. However, this may or may not require the use of a special iOS/iPadOS app from the printer manufacturer. Direct Wi-Fi is normally not used with AirPrint; a Wi-Fi router is the supported solution.

https://downloads.canon.com/nw/printer/products/printers-and-multifunction/imageclass-series/color-imageclass-mf743cdw/setup-sheets/ic_mf743cdw_SpecSheet_Final.pdf

Jul 28, 2022 10:20 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan, you are AMAZING!! Your information was EXACTLY what I was looking for!! I knew there had to be a way to do it! I don’t have much understanding of networks, but you pointed me in the right direction! I had a router and hooked it to my printer and made my phone the hotspot! Houston, we have PRINTING!! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question!! You are worth your weight in gold! 🥰🤗

Can I print without a network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.