Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to print to a wireless printer using iphone hotspot

I can't figure out how to print to a Canon Imageclass MF232w from my iphone using the hotspot.

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 4:23 PM

Hi,

The Canon MF232w is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a printer supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. An AirPrint-enabled printer can be used without an additional app, provided that the iPhone and the printer are connected to the same network. Usually, this is your home or office Wi-Fi network provided by a Wi-Fi router.

An iPhone personal hotspot is not a normal router, and is not intended for local networking.

A dedicated mobile broadband router (sometimes also called a personal/portable hotspot) should have the ability to handle local Wi-Fi networking.

If there is no existing Wi-Fi network (router) where you want to print from the iPhone to the Canon MF232w, almost any (even an old/spare) Wi-Fi router could be used. The interesting part is the local (WLAN/LAN) side. The WAN (Internet) side does not have to be connected. You would simply set up a private Wi-Fi network for printing purposes only.

There are also travel routers without mobile broadband (similar to the example at https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr902ac/) that should work.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2022 4:23 PM in response to clairefrombardwell

Hi,

The Canon MF232w is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a printer supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. An AirPrint-enabled printer can be used without an additional app, provided that the iPhone and the printer are connected to the same network. Usually, this is your home or office Wi-Fi network provided by a Wi-Fi router.

An iPhone personal hotspot is not a normal router, and is not intended for local networking.

A dedicated mobile broadband router (sometimes also called a personal/portable hotspot) should have the ability to handle local Wi-Fi networking.

If there is no existing Wi-Fi network (router) where you want to print from the iPhone to the Canon MF232w, almost any (even an old/spare) Wi-Fi router could be used. The interesting part is the local (WLAN/LAN) side. The WAN (Internet) side does not have to be connected. You would simply set up a private Wi-Fi network for printing purposes only.

There are also travel routers without mobile broadband (similar to the example at https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr902ac/) that should work.

Nov 26, 2022 6:32 PM in response to clairefrombardwell

You're welcome!

By the way, AirPrint works with wireless (Wi-Fi) or wired (Ethernet) network connections. Since your printer model has Ethernet in addition to Wi-Fi, you could choose to wire it to one of the LAN ports of the router (instead of using a wireless connection). Normally, with routers for home use, the wireless and wired sections are bridged, so wired and wireless computers/devices can communicate with each other.

If there is a problem with device discovery with AirPrint, the following power-cycle procedure may help:

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the iPhone, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the iPhone. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Do not hesitate to post back with any questions. If so, you may want to mention the exact router model used.

Good luck with your experiment!

Nov 27, 2022 9:09 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan, thank you for the additional information. I was able to print from my iPhone at one time but lost the connection. Since I have no internet connection other than my phone, I don’t know how I was able to do that. I must’ve had a wi-fi connection set up on my computer via the hotspot or something. Is that a possibility? Thank you.

Nov 27, 2022 11:22 AM in response to clairefrombardwell

>I was able to print from my iPhone at one time but lost the connection.

Was this earlier, or have you now tested an old Wi-Fi router (without the WAN/Internet side connected)?

Connecting via a router is the normal way when using AirPrint.

However, the Canon user's guide (https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/4/0300025074/05/MF244dw_UsersGuide_usEN_4.pdf) on page 152 appears to indicate that a direct connection could be possible. Unfortunately, the information in this manual is not very clear.

Do you have some kind of Canon or third-party iOS app for printing installed on the iPhone?

how to print to a wireless printer using iphone hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.