Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monitor Studio Display USB-C to display port

Can you use a USB-C to display port adapter to connect to dock? I have a MacBook Pro and a OWC Thunderbolt Pro Dock with a display port.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 6:51 AM

5 replies

Jul 29, 2022 9:54 AM in response to markp_2000

Hi markp_2000,

To clarify, what are you attempting to accomplish?

For example, are you trying to power and run the monitor through the dock rather than plugging right into the Mac? Or do you have another peripheral your'e attempting to access?

If you're just trying to run your Studio Display, plug the included Thunderbolt cable into any Thunderbolt 3, Thunderbolt 4 or USB-C port on your Mac. It will vary by the dock if you can plug it into the dock and still get full functionality out of the display.

If there's a different issue or if we've misunderstood the issue, let us know.

Take care.

Jul 30, 2022 9:59 AM in response to markp_2000

You MUST connect the Studio Display with a genuine ThunderBolt cable from a ThunderBolt3 port on your computer.

Consider setting aside you old dock completely, because:

The Studio display has one Thunderbolt port which delivers up to 96W of charge to your Mac notebook or iPad and three USB-C ports for connecting other devices and accessories.

Jul 29, 2022 4:17 PM in response to DerekM87

I probably did not explain it very well. My goal is to have one usb-c cord to the MacBook. I want everything else hooked into the dock. Right now I will use all of the available usb-c (3) on the dock (MacBook, Superdrive, External Storage) but there is a display port available. I just purchased the studio display and was hoping to connect it to the DP. I can go straight to the MacBook but was being lazy with wanting to only unplug one cable when going mobile.

Jul 30, 2022 9:00 AM in response to markp_2000

markp_2000,

Thank you for providing the community with clarification.

In terms of having all of your peripherals connected to a dock and having that particular dock connected to your MacBook Pro is something, you can do.

However, please keep in mind that to get the full functionality out of your peripherals, you’ll need to ensure that the dock you purchased is compatible with your MacBook Pro and the peripherals you’re connecting.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Monitor Studio Display USB-C to display port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.