Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Studio Display and Thunderbolt Docks

Hello, I am setting up my Studio Display with my 16” M1 Max MacBook Pro. I want to get a thunderbolt dock like the Caldigit TS3 Plus or something similar. Since the display and those docks both charge the computer, could I plug the dock into a USB C port on the display and use it without doing any harm to my Mac or the Studio Display?

Studio Display

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 12:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 9:23 AM

I just upgraded to Apple Studio Monitor with current M1 Pro / Caldigit TS3+ dock.

The only solution I have found is to plug the ASM directly into a port on my Macbook and then connect the dock to a second port on my MacBook. All of my accessories are connected to the TS3+ which I also use for ethernet.

I'm not crazy about using two cables...but it's OK.

I tried connecting the TS3+ to one of the USB C ports but got an error message "Device not supported - connect to a Thunderbolt port on your computer" - or something like that....

I have emailed Caldigit but no response yet.

I have two ASMs - one each at my work / home office so I am going to try to the new Caldigit Element Thunderbolt Dock there.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2023 9:23 AM in response to F64_cole

I just upgraded to Apple Studio Monitor with current M1 Pro / Caldigit TS3+ dock.

The only solution I have found is to plug the ASM directly into a port on my Macbook and then connect the dock to a second port on my MacBook. All of my accessories are connected to the TS3+ which I also use for ethernet.

I'm not crazy about using two cables...but it's OK.

I tried connecting the TS3+ to one of the USB C ports but got an error message "Device not supported - connect to a Thunderbolt port on your computer" - or something like that....

I have emailed Caldigit but no response yet.

I have two ASMs - one each at my work / home office so I am going to try to the new Caldigit Element Thunderbolt Dock there.

Jan 8, 2023 2:12 PM in response to F64_cole

Hello F64_cole,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We want to help you learn more about the adapter. You should be able to charge accessories with the display, explained here:

"The display has one Thunderbolt port which delivers up to 96W of charge to your Mac laptop or iPad and three USB-C ports for connecting other devices and accessories."

This Apple Support page has the full details: Set up and use Apple Studio Display - Apple Support

If you have questions about that specific adapter, we suggest reaching out to the manufacturer directly for more details.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Cheers!

Jan 9, 2023 11:05 AM in response to F64_cole

Hello F64_cole,

According the manufacturer's website, the dock should support the M1 Mac: TS3 Plus | Thunderbolt 3 Dock - CalDigit

"M1/M2 based Macs only support a single display through the Thunderbolt connection."

"M1 based Mac laptops only support 1 external monitor through their Thunderbolt 3 port. Intel based Macs support 2 external monitors through their Thunderbolt 3 ports."

"Yes, you can directly connect a Thunderbolt or USB-C Type-C monitor to the spare Thunderbolt 3 ports on the TS3 Plus. Please note that the USB-C ports on the TS3 Plus are for data only."

However, it doesn't mention supporting the Studio display. For this, we'd recommend contacting the manufacturer on what may be compatible with their product: Support - CalDigit or see related information in: Contact a third-party vendor

Wishing you well, take care.

Jan 9, 2023 12:03 PM in response to F64_cole

In my opinion, for best performance you should plug that BIG display directly into a ThunderBolt port on your Mac.

For best performance, you should also plug the Dock directly into a ThunderBolt port on your Mac.

Only if you are extremely limited in the number of ports available should you consider plugging these two high-performance devices one into the other, and the cost MAY be reduced throughput for attached devices.

Studio Display and Thunderbolt Docks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.