Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 3 Dock for a Mac Pro 2019

I want to use my CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 dock that I normally use on my MacBook Pro 16 laptop (which serves as the power supply and dual monitor output) to my Mac Pro 2019 instead.

It might be an obvious "no problem" but I want to make sure there are no inter-operability issues such as shorting the ports.

Anyone using a Thunderbolt dock meant for a laptop on their Mac Pro 2019 desktop?

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 11:19 AM

There won't be any problem with the dock trying to send power to the Mac Pro. Thunderbolt 3/USB-C devices talk to each other to determine any power requirements. For example, I have a LG Thunderbolt 3 display that can power a laptop. It runs fine with my Mac mini which does not take any power via Thunderbolt.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2020 11:19 AM in response to Rodney

There won't be any problem with the dock trying to send power to the Mac Pro. Thunderbolt 3/USB-C devices talk to each other to determine any power requirements. For example, I have a LG Thunderbolt 3 display that can power a laptop. It runs fine with my Mac mini which does not take any power via Thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt 3 Dock for a Mac Pro 2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.