Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac had a message saying 'Your screen is being observed.'

When i opened my Mac this morning it had a message saying your screen is being observed.

Does this mean I have been hacked? Is there a good security app that is free for Macs?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 2:18 PM

Hi Tigergran,

This was more than likely just a message trying to scare you into think you have a virus. That being said if you would like to check your computer for malware, try a program called Malwarebytes. It is not a free app, but I do believe you can install it and scan your harddrive for known malware without cost. You can move forward with purchasing or not at that point.

The following Apple Support documents may help:

-> Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support

-> Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

<edit: fixed a typo>

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2022 2:18 PM in response to Tigergran

Hi Tigergran,

This was more than likely just a message trying to scare you into think you have a virus. That being said if you would like to check your computer for malware, try a program called Malwarebytes. It is not a free app, but I do believe you can install it and scan your harddrive for known malware without cost. You can move forward with purchasing or not at that point.

The following Apple Support documents may help:

-> Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support

-> Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

<edit: fixed a typo>

My Mac had a message saying 'Your screen is being observed.'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.