Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing

I have purchased a number of movies on my phone via the itunes and apple tv apps. I have set up "Family Sharing" with our television. The movies appear as options, however when I select a movie, a banner comes up that says "content not owned or rented."

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2022 2:47 AM

Family Sharing is for sharing between accounts (different users).

Any Apple TV app user can access purchased content on any of their devices, when signed in with the same Apple ID account to the Apple TV app, without need for Family Sharing.

Family Sharing only allows the sharing of purchased movies, if the Purchase Sharing option is activated. Activating Purchase Sharing will also charge any new purchase from any of the group to the Family Sharing organizer’s payment method. That may or may not be desirable for every group.

Access shared purchases through the Library tab, then Family Sharing, then user.

Family Sharing - Apple

What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

What types of content can I share with my family? - Apple Support

↳ Notably movie rentals are not shareable.

How to share purchases with your family - Apple Support

If you can't find your family's shared content - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2022 2:47 AM in response to staceylamb78

Family Sharing is for sharing between accounts (different users).

Any Apple TV app user can access purchased content on any of their devices, when signed in with the same Apple ID account to the Apple TV app, without need for Family Sharing.

Family Sharing only allows the sharing of purchased movies, if the Purchase Sharing option is activated. Activating Purchase Sharing will also charge any new purchase from any of the group to the Family Sharing organizer’s payment method. That may or may not be desirable for every group.

Access shared purchases through the Library tab, then Family Sharing, then user.

Family Sharing - Apple

What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

What types of content can I share with my family? - Apple Support

↳ Notably movie rentals are not shareable.

How to share purchases with your family - Apple Support

If you can't find your family's shared content - Apple Support

Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.