Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to wipe my macbook air and I get a flashing folder with a question mark

How do I wipe my macbook air when I get a flashing folder with a question mark when it first starts up

Posted on Jul 30, 2022 7:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2022 7:42 PM

Hi,

Follow the directions from the article you were looking at:

If the question mark is persistent

If the question mark stays on your screen and your Mac does not start up normally:

1. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for up to 10 seconds, until your Mac turns off.
  2. Every Mac has a power button. On notebook computers that have Touch ID, press and hold Touch ID.
  3. Use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk. (Follow the steps for a Mac with an Intel processor.)
  4. If Disk Utility found no errors or repaired all errors, reinstall macOS.
  5. If you still need help, please contact Apple Support.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2022 7:42 PM in response to Cmauerhan

Hi,

Follow the directions from the article you were looking at:

If the question mark is persistent

If the question mark stays on your screen and your Mac does not start up normally:

1. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for up to 10 seconds, until your Mac turns off.
  2. Every Mac has a power button. On notebook computers that have Touch ID, press and hold Touch ID.
  3. Use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk. (Follow the steps for a Mac with an Intel processor.)
  4. If Disk Utility found no errors or repaired all errors, reinstall macOS.
  5. If you still need help, please contact Apple Support.

I am trying to wipe my macbook air and I get a flashing folder with a question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.