Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migrate high sierra to M2 Monterey

how to migrate macos high sierra to macbook air M2 monterey?

MacBook Air, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 1:52 PM

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

6 replies

Jul 31, 2022 2:52 PM in response to dialabrain

Thank you but tried that link directions and did not help/work. Still stuck on "Optimizing Your Mac" window after successful migration and then logging in. The directions on the link you have provided seems to indicate all should be good for High Sierra to Monterey.. but.. no joy... The first time I transfered from time capsule.. next times, computer to computer... The last time I manually deleted all 32Bit software from MacBook Pro before migrating thinking that would help but still same issue.. Due to the size of what I am migrating and then the wait to see if optimization will complete... this has been a long process.. I have been in touch with Apple Support on the phone and to the genius bar but no answers other than the link you sent so far.. I am anxious to get all up and running on new MacBook Air!!!! Any other ideas or directions??

Thank you..

Jul 31, 2022 3:08 PM in response to dialabrain

Thanks for finding the other post.. I guess I was not clear that the "migration" worked... but when I log in the "optimizing your mac" window comes up and stays.. Yes.. I have 2T on the new MacBook Air so plenty of room.. I can keep trying - maybe next time not migrating the "system"... but it takes a while to do the migration of this much data and I am trying to end up with all photos and backups and emails intact.... no worry about loosing anything as all is backed up... just a lot of time in trial and error and hoping someone has a little more knowledge of whether or not I will loose these things if I don't migrate the System. It would be easier if I could put Mohave on the new computer then update OS systems in order - but new MacBook Air M2 will not take any older OS - only Monterey.. appreciate your interest and replies.. so far I don't find anyone else that has the new M2 MacBook Air with same issue.. guess I am one of the few with a computer this old to transfer - at least so far..

migrate high sierra to M2 Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.