Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A critical Software Update is required for your Mac...but an error was encountered....can't use your Mac

I CANNOT BOOT UP MY 2017 MACBOOK PRO 15"... so I am all locked up not knowing where to go and what to do. Phone instructions from Mac gets me back to this same situation after I get on my Wireless

network?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 7:15 PM

This usually indicates a hardware issue affecting the Touchbar which usually requires a repair by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider. I have seen a couple of users post that reinstalling macOS over top of itself by using Internet Recovery Mode fixed their problem, but in my own personal experience with our organization's Macs it has always required a hardware repair.

You won't be able to boot this laptop normally until macOS is able to download the "critical software update" which is actually just the EmbeddedOS which resides on a hidden partition which needs to be uploaded to the Touchbar. If macOS is unable to upload the EmbeddedOS to the Touchbar, it seems macOS deletes the old copy and goes to download a new copy. But if there is some sort of hardware issue affecting the Touchbar, then the EmbeddedOS is unable to be successfully loaded. Instead of accepting there may be a problem, macOS keeps repeating the process instead of letting macOS finish booting without the Touchbar.

You should be able to boot into Safe Mode to continue using the laptop in a reduced fashion (no Touchbar, and some other reduced functionality) and to make a good backup.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2022 7:15 PM in response to zaneym

This usually indicates a hardware issue affecting the Touchbar which usually requires a repair by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider. I have seen a couple of users post that reinstalling macOS over top of itself by using Internet Recovery Mode fixed their problem, but in my own personal experience with our organization's Macs it has always required a hardware repair.

You won't be able to boot this laptop normally until macOS is able to download the "critical software update" which is actually just the EmbeddedOS which resides on a hidden partition which needs to be uploaded to the Touchbar. If macOS is unable to upload the EmbeddedOS to the Touchbar, it seems macOS deletes the old copy and goes to download a new copy. But if there is some sort of hardware issue affecting the Touchbar, then the EmbeddedOS is unable to be successfully loaded. Instead of accepting there may be a problem, macOS keeps repeating the process instead of letting macOS finish booting without the Touchbar.

You should be able to boot into Safe Mode to continue using the laptop in a reduced fashion (no Touchbar, and some other reduced functionality) and to make a good backup.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

A critical Software Update is required for your Mac...but an error was encountered....can't use your Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.