Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to buy software to to burn dvds with my MacBook Pro and an Apple super drive?

Do I need to buy software to to burn dvds with my MacBook Pro and an Apple super drive?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 12:44 PM

If you want to burn movies to DVDs and be able to play them on a stand alone DVD player (not on the Mac, but maybe the TV), you do need software. Finder cannot do it - it can burn a DVD you can play on the Mac that authored it, but not a stand along player; It needs to convert and render the file into a readable format. One of the best is

https://www.roxio.com/en/products/toast/?x-vehicle=ppc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjbLMtLKm-QIVV8LCBB0Jog5kEAAYAyAAEgLxYfD_BwE

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2022 12:44 PM in response to janinafromblackpool

If you want to burn movies to DVDs and be able to play them on a stand alone DVD player (not on the Mac, but maybe the TV), you do need software. Finder cannot do it - it can burn a DVD you can play on the Mac that authored it, but not a stand along player; It needs to convert and render the file into a readable format. One of the best is

https://www.roxio.com/en/products/toast/?x-vehicle=ppc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjbLMtLKm-QIVV8LCBB0Jog5kEAAYAyAAEgLxYfD_BwE

Aug 2, 2022 6:07 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

Hi Froggie. Thanks for that, I’ve purchased the toast app and just trying to work my dopey way through it. I found it strange that it seams to have installed correctly but I never got asked to enter the product key. I’m wondering if it will ask for it before first use. Time will tell. So far so good. Thanks again to everyone who replied to my question.

Aug 2, 2022 8:42 AM in response to babowa

Hi babowa,

Ok, thanks again but this is where I come totally unstuck. I will try to explain where I’m up to. I’ve bought the toast pro package because if I’m gonna struggle to learn one I might as well struggle with the best version. I downloaded the installer from the paperwork they sent and it asked me for the serial number, my details etc. 👍SFSG. Clicked next and it just opened the program. Now, I’m so thick that I might have missed something but I don’t have a clue how to get back to the beginning to put things right. Any suggestions🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤯🤯 please

Aug 2, 2022 9:48 AM in response to janinafromblackpool

I won't be at my Mac until late today, but from what I remember: launch the app > goto Menu bar and choose Preferences or serial or something like that and see what you can find. My version was still on a DVD - not download, so they may have changed the process. If your code is already entered, just keep the one they sent. Or simply send them an email and ask their support - it's their app

Aug 2, 2022 9:59 AM in response to babowa

Well I’ve just gone through the launch rigmarole again and it did exactly what it did the first time only this time it said that it was successfully installed so I assume that when I put the serial number in in the first place, that was the key. I’m going to have a good read of the Help pages just to make sure I’ve done the installation properly and see if it helps me to understand how to use it. If you know anybody who’s got a few Brain cells to spare I could do with a few. Thanks again you’ve been massively helpful. Can I just ask you if you are in England and if not, where in the world are you?

Aug 2, 2022 11:27 AM in response to janinafromblackpool

I'm in the US.

As I said, I'm using an older copy so the user interface will probably be different. But it is really easy to use - just pick a category (like video dvd) and it'll do the authoring. Pick a theme (if you want one - I create my own), insert a DVD when prompted and it will do the rest.

Get yourself a couple of cheap DVDs so you can experiment. For burning use the best quality DVD like Verbatim and use a slow burn speed. It'll take longer, but you will wind up with less errors or problems.

Aug 2, 2022 11:41 AM in response to babowa

I had a feeling you weren’t in England because of the time on your messages. I just want to say a massive thank you yet again. I’m going to read through the Help files and the user guide and if it’s okay with you, I will let you know when I’ve burned my first DVD that plays successfully in an old fashioned dvd player.

Take care and stay safe. All the best to you.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.