Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System data storage

Just upgraded to a new phone and my system data is taking up almost 200GB!? I’ve read online and tried to clear cache on apps but it’s reduced by a couple of MB only. There surely has to be something wrong here!? How can this phone take up more storage than my whole old phone!? Someone please help! I also can’t back up to iCloud as I’ve too much on my phone, hence why upgraded to such a big storage device!

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 3:14 PM

If you just got a new phone, you may be eligible for free temporary iCloud Storage:

Get temporary iCloud storage when you buy a new iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Or, you could upgrade your iCloud Storage for just one month.

Or you could back up your phone using a computer.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

In your particular situation, I would recommend using a computer. Back up your phone. Restore it as new. Test it. If the problem is resolved, restore the back up. The advantage to doing it this way is that you get a clean, fresh copy of iOS installed on the device. That doesn't happen if you restore the do an erase and restore from the phone.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2022 3:14 PM in response to Karlakelly93

If you just got a new phone, you may be eligible for free temporary iCloud Storage:

Get temporary iCloud storage when you buy a new iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Or, you could upgrade your iCloud Storage for just one month.

Or you could back up your phone using a computer.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

In your particular situation, I would recommend using a computer. Back up your phone. Restore it as new. Test it. If the problem is resolved, restore the back up. The advantage to doing it this way is that you get a clean, fresh copy of iOS installed on the device. That doesn't happen if you restore the do an erase and restore from the phone.

Aug 1, 2022 2:59 PM in response to Mrokircredsz

I’ve just spent 4+ hours transferring my data from my old iPhone to my new one through the quick start option because I don’t have enough iCloud memory to back up my phone.Why is the solution to factory reset and start again? I don’t have enough memory to back up 256GB to my iCloud account. Is this another way for Apple to make me pay for more storage just to do a backup? It’s seemingly a common problem so surely there should be a known fix by this point?

System data storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.