Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bootable usb Big Sur reateinstallmedia: invalid option -- ?

Hi, I have 2 PCs, one with BigSur (that works) and an old one with HighSierra (that stuck on the boot). My objective is create a bootabe media from bigsur to highsierra

I have formatted an USB with GUIDD.

with the command "diskutil list" I can see it

/dev/disk2 (external, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *63.3 GB disk2

1: EFI ⁨EFI⁩ 209.7 MB disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS ⁨chiavetta⁩ 63.0 GB disk2s2

with the command cd /Volumes/chiavetta I can access it in terminal

Then I run the command:

sudo /Users/noidue/Downloads/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia -–volume /Volumes/chiavetta --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/

(the path are get dragging the icons from the finder to the terminal)

I have this error...

createinstallmedia: invalid option -- ?

Usage: createinstallmedia --volume <path to volume to convert>

Arguments

--volume, A path to a volume that can be unmounted and erased to create the install media.

--applicationpath, A path to copy of the OS installer application to create the bootable media from.

--nointeraction, Erase the disk pointed to by volume without prompting for confirmation.

Example: createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

Any advice?

Thanks

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 4:10 AM

See this page for the correct Terminal commands…

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 2, 2022 4:19 AM in response to sefiroths

Creating a USB Installer is predicated on the Full Version of the Installer ( High Sierra ) is located in the Applications folder of the computer

Have used this command several times and it has worked just fine

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

Where the Untitled " in above command " is the Name Given the 16 GB Capacity Drive when formatted as HFS + ( Journaled ) with GUID Scheme Partition Map

Aug 2, 2022 9:52 AM in response to sefiroths

When posting information found in the Terminal app, it is better to either post a screenshot or by pasting the contents into a code block so the original formatting is retained as well as making it easier to distinguish characters and especially spaces. To post the contents into a code block, you need to use the "Code Insertion" tool on the forum's editing toolbar which has an icon which looks like "<>".

Since the error is "invalid option" I suspect you do have the full installer, but somehow the option is not correct. Is there at least one space after the command "createinstallmedia"? And a double hyphen (dash) preceding "volume"? Even when I copy & paste this into a code block the one hyphen in the "--volumes" looks wrong. The second dash looks longer which may be due to the forum editing window, or it may be the actual problem, but the double hyphen for the next option "--applicationpath" looks normal. Or is "--applicationpath" being considered part of the path to your USB stick because there isn't a separating space?

Aug 2, 2022 5:06 PM in response to sefiroths

The reason for the error is that command is using conflicting locations for the installer app. Apparently, /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/ does not exist.

In the following I am assuming your downloaded High Sierra installer app is located in ~/Downloads instead.

(the path are get dragging the icons from the finder to the terminal)

You're on the right track, but the second pathname does not exist. It would be correct if you drag the High Sierra installer app icon (which I assume resides in ~/Downloads) to just past applicationpath.

Try this:

sudo /Users/noidue/Downloads/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/chiavetta --applicationpath /Users/noidue/Downloads/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app

That should work.

bootable usb Big Sur reateinstallmedia: invalid option -- ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.