Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are some layers greyed out and missing in the timeline?

The entire timeline is showing. The Group and Color Solid layers show in the timline, but the mask layers do not. If I click on a mask layer the outline appears in the Viewer. How do I find the layers missing from the timeline?

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 5:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 5:55 AM

Hi Marmer 128

Those layers have zero duration in the project/ they are zero frames in duration. That is what I can see in the image. Select the layers, then go to the end of the project and use the keyboard common 'O' set that outpoint. That should solve this for issue for you.

7 replies

Aug 2, 2022 5:54 PM in response to rowie302

OMG of course. Thank you. I'll document my journey of confusion so people can see what's going through a beginner's mind:

• First, I noticed that the Mask Blend Modes weren't working.
  • Then I noticed that the Color Solid in Group 2 didn't have an outline of the masks (like in Group 3).
  • Then I noticed that the layer titles were greyed out.
  • Then I moved the playhead in the timeline (without scrolling down to Group 2).
  • Then I started moving layers from Group 2 to Group 3 and visa versa to troubleshoot.
  • But that only made me more confused when I noticed that layers from Group 2 continued to be invisible in Group 3, but Group 3 layers were visible in Group 2.
  • So I opened a new project and added multiple Groups, Color Solids, Masks, and Blend Modes and everything worked perfectly, which led to me being even more confused.
  • Finally, I noticed that the layers were not visible in the timeline and that this was the source of my problem (but I somehow continued to not realize the 'O' keyboard shortcut).
  • Here is what caused the mistake in the first place: The layers in Group 2 were originally in Group 1. I highlighted the layers in Group 1 and moved them to Group 2. After that I accidentally clicked 'O' which is the keyboard shortcut for 'Out,' causing the video to end (or 'Out') at the beginning of the timeline, hence the invisible layers. Moving the playhead to the end of the timline and clicking 'O' solved the problem.

Aug 2, 2022 6:27 PM in response to GFXZen

It may have been a combination of user error and a bug. Notice in this new screenshot that I placed the playhead (using 'Go To Start') at the beginning of the timeline and clicked 'O'. There are clearly defined grey rectangles that represent the layers. I cannot make the layers in the timeline any smaller. In my previous screenshot there's not even a sliver of the layers showing. Do you think I encountered a bug or is there something I am not understanding?

Aug 2, 2022 12:34 PM in response to rowie302

Exactly what rowie302 said, except you can't actually have an element that is zero frame, all layers have a min length of 1 frame, what most likely happened is the layers got offset to a part of the timeline you can't see (outside the duration of the project). I would expand on what rowie302 said. If you go to the end , and hit use the keyboard shortcut 'o', if the object is to the right of the visible timeline, you will just create a single frame long layer at the end. In situations like this I would go to the first frame and with the layer selected, use the keyboard shortcut 'I' to set the in point, and then go to the last frame and use the 'O' shortcut to set the out point.

You may have also accidentally set up a single frame, if you want, it never hurts to go to the first/last frame and zoom in to see where the issue is. Depending on the zoom level of the timeline, single frames can effectively disappear.

Aug 2, 2022 7:59 PM in response to Marmeeer128

Hi,

I've had exactly the same situation before, many times, where a layer somehow shows not even 1 frame in the timeline. I never consider it a bug, it is just a state that can happen after some combination of steps and I have never put my finger on what exactly has to happen for that to occur. Someone out there might know, but for me, it is of zero significance because resetting the out point is the immediate solution. I don't consider it a bug, just a quirk of operation. If resetting the outpoint stopped working in that situation, then I would see it as a bug and a concern.

But I don't mean to discourage you from asking - because yes, there are some frustrating bugs in Motion that can really be showstoppers, and that you will discover over time,...we'll be here to help with workarounds as you encounter them so please don't hesitate to raise any issue.

Aug 3, 2022 2:19 PM in response to Marmeeer128

Generally speaking, if you can easily reproduce the issue, it's a bug. I would still point out, that with the timeline it is REALLY EASY to create a layer with a single frame duration and have it not be visible based on the zoom level. For instance, I have a 27 inch display, if I create a 1000 frame project with the Broadcast 1080 preset, scale my document slightly and set the start/end to frame one, the layer looks empty. It's not until you zoom in that you see it is not. If you are on a smaller screen this is even more likely to happen, just because of screen real-estate.

Additionally, i've had times where I change the duration of the project (shorten) or drag a layer with a trimmed effect/behavior so it is outside the duration and had the layer element "disappear". I'd always start by checking these things. In a case like this.

As rowie302 said, then come here. Share your issue, give lots of details so people can try to reproduce or help you figure out the issue. (That's why we are all here 😀). If you can get others to reproduce*, then you may have a bug, and your can send in Feedback with the details.

*fwiw inconsistent reproducibility does not mean there is not a bug, it could just be REALLY hard to reproduce.

cheers!

Why are some layers greyed out and missing in the timeline?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.