Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 MacBook Pro very hot and fan is on almost all the time

Why is my MacBook so hot? The fan is on and it’s hot even when I’m not using it.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 8:55 AM

vartovsk1988 wrote:

Why is my MacBook so hot? The fan is on and it’s hot even when I’m not using it.

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

3 replies

Aug 2, 2022 8:57 AM in response to vartovsk1988

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

This will tell us if there is a software problem.

Also:

Is there adequate ventilation, like Is the mac not on a pillow or blanket? What about ambient temperature?

There is also the possibility of dust and particles obstructing air flow and forcing the fans to work harder to try and keep the mac cool.

Aug 2, 2022 2:31 PM in response to vartovsk1988

At work we have a few thousand 2017 13" MacBook Pros, and at this age, a lot of them are suffering from dust/pollen collected in the fans, blocking proper ventilation. The result is the fan scream like a jet about to take off, and the kernel_task spends a lot of time putting the intel chip into a low power idle mode, making it look like the kernel_task is using lots of CPU, but it is just protecting the chip from melting.

If these are your symptoms, suggest having someone open it up and clean out the dust.

2017 MacBook Pro very hot and fan is on almost all the time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.