Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder question

Hi,

I recently bought a newer mac running Monterey. I notice a few things that are different in the finder windows and am wondering if I can adjust them.

1) In the "gallery view" items in a folder appear at the bottom as icons which are very small. In previous versions the individual items were in a list and you were able to use a slider to adjust the size of the icons/gallery view. In the newer gallery the icons go sideways and it's a lot harder to scroll through numerous items.

2) In the list view I notice it doesn't always remember how a finder window appeared previously. For example, my documents folder has a lot of items. Every time I open that folder it appears small and I need to adjust it to see all the items. I find that other finder windows/folders don't do this.

Thanks for your help.

Gary

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 7:01 PM

The slideshow view went away and was replaced with what you see. I don’t know why and we can’t speculate.

A Finder window is not a view of each folder, independently. It is a display that shows the contents of a folder in the view it has unless the folder has been set to always open in a certain view. I’m not sure if that stores anything more than the view type.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2022 7:01 PM in response to Gary Goldblum

The slideshow view went away and was replaced with what you see. I don’t know why and we can’t speculate.

A Finder window is not a view of each folder, independently. It is a display that shows the contents of a folder in the view it has unless the folder has been set to always open in a certain view. I’m not sure if that stores anything more than the view type.

Finder question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.