Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can you delete emails from the back-end

Hello all,

Hope you're well! I disconnected all my mail accounts thinking it would free up the 18 Gig of mail on my hard drive, but the mail files are still taking up 18 GB even though I disconnected my mail accounts, so there are no emails visible in the inboxes, so my guess is I need to delete the 18GB of mail on the back-end somewhere. How can I delete the 18 GB of mail files? I'm using Mac OS Monterey 12.1.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 12:56 PM

Deleting (not disabling) an account in Mail should delete the local storage as well. If this is not the case you can find your mailboxes at

~/Library/Mail/V9

~ indicates your current user account. The Library folder is hidden by default. You can access it via several ways, one is to hold down the option key while accessing Finder’s Go To menu.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2022 12:56 PM in response to JtothaMiz

Deleting (not disabling) an account in Mail should delete the local storage as well. If this is not the case you can find your mailboxes at

~/Library/Mail/V9

~ indicates your current user account. The Library folder is hidden by default. You can access it via several ways, one is to hold down the option key while accessing Finder’s Go To menu.

How can you delete emails from the back-end

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.