Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move Photos

Hello all

I have just downgraded from Ventura to Monetary, I made a time machine backup and copied everything on to multiple external drives manually, I have managed to get everything moved over apart from the photos library, I have imported quite a lot of photos when on Ventura and when I moved the library over and tried to open it, it said its unsupported as its a library running a on a new version, how can I get the photos onto the library in Monterey? Through the package contents I am able to see all the photos but I want to try to keep favourites and not lose any data such as when the photos were taken

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 11:06 PM

Your library has been upgraded to work with Photos on Ventura. Unfortunatly this means Photos 7 on monterey cannot open it.

Do you have a backup from before you upgraded? (Hopefully you do, and can restore this version of the library). If not, is your library already synced with iCloud photos. (If it is, you can sync iCloud to a new empty library)

If you don't have a backup, and you don't have your photos in iCloud then it becomes quite difficult. The only choices you will have will be to upgrade again back to Ventura. Then you can choose to continue using that, or to sync your library with iCloud (you'll need to pay for at least one month of a plan big enough for your whole library), then downgrade again and sync a new empty library with iCloud to downgrade it.

For more info, see:

Downgrading a Photos Library to a Previou… - Apple Community

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2022 11:06 PM in response to wilhelm273

Your library has been upgraded to work with Photos on Ventura. Unfortunatly this means Photos 7 on monterey cannot open it.

Do you have a backup from before you upgraded? (Hopefully you do, and can restore this version of the library). If not, is your library already synced with iCloud photos. (If it is, you can sync iCloud to a new empty library)

If you don't have a backup, and you don't have your photos in iCloud then it becomes quite difficult. The only choices you will have will be to upgrade again back to Ventura. Then you can choose to continue using that, or to sync your library with iCloud (you'll need to pay for at least one month of a plan big enough for your whole library), then downgrade again and sync a new empty library with iCloud to downgrade it.

For more info, see:

Downgrading a Photos Library to a Previou… - Apple Community

Aug 4, 2022 3:27 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Hello, thanks

So I do have a backup of the old library but I have imported loads of photos when I was on Ventura so I would lose out on them for now.

Might be a silly thought but can I install Ventura on an external HHD and use this to access the library and drag all photos into a folder and then just import back on a fresh Monetary library, if this fails then use the iCloud?

Move Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.