Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Effects for vertical photos

I like the Ken Burns effects for most of the photos in my slideshow, but for some of the vertical images where Ken Burns doesn’t work well and you have to use “fit” instead, is there another way to add some movement to the image besides adding a transition before & after it? It looks a little off to have the KB movement throughout the slideshow, and then have random photos that aren’t moving.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 1:07 PM

There is no other way within iMovie to impart movement to a pic other than the Ken Burns effect, or by using Picture in Picture with keyframes to animate the picture ,or inserting a transition. You could use the Keynote app on your Mac to impart some animation to the pic and then import it into the iMovie project.

Not sure what you mean when you say that the Ken Burns effect does not work well on vertical pics. It does work, but may not impart the effect you want. With a vertical pic you are pretty much limited to zoom in or out, or pan from the top or the bottom. , What type of movement were you thinking other than the zoom and pan that you can get with the Ken Burns effect?

That being said, having some pics in the slide show that display without Ken Burns can provide some interest. That would be your call of course.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2022 1:07 PM in response to cmkreative

There is no other way within iMovie to impart movement to a pic other than the Ken Burns effect, or by using Picture in Picture with keyframes to animate the picture ,or inserting a transition. You could use the Keynote app on your Mac to impart some animation to the pic and then import it into the iMovie project.

Not sure what you mean when you say that the Ken Burns effect does not work well on vertical pics. It does work, but may not impart the effect you want. With a vertical pic you are pretty much limited to zoom in or out, or pan from the top or the bottom. , What type of movement were you thinking other than the zoom and pan that you can get with the Ken Burns effect?

That being said, having some pics in the slide show that display without Ken Burns can provide some interest. That would be your call of course.

-- Rich

Aug 4, 2022 2:53 PM in response to Rich839

Thank you @Rich839 - I was limiting myself to focusing on the area the KB filter chose on the vertical photos (so just zooming in waaaay to close on someone’s face for example of a full-length image), but I didn’t even think to expand the frame wider and into the black. I don’t know why I missed that, I was so focused on keeping it framed within the picture. Thanks for giving me the push in the right direction with your comment!!

Effects for vertical photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.