Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset magic keyboard to factory conditions

I got a new magic keyboard with Touch ID numerical keys. After of 3 or 4 days of working perfectly the magic keyboard seems to have lost its configuration and the keys no longer work as intended. For example you can not write the @ symbol using the option + the 2 keys as intended. Now you need to use the option + Q keys which are the same you would use in the MacBookPro keyboard to write the @ symbol. I decided to have a replacement of the keyboard after a lengthy technical session with apple customer service and tech support. The new keyboard did exactly the same thing again. A few days it worked perfectly and then lost its configuration and the problem could not be resolved by Apple tech people. I have tried to find a way to re-set the keyboard to factory settings and see if that solves the problem but no one seems to know how. What I have found in the community support is apparently for older versions of the keyboard. Looks like I will have to return the keyboard for a second time which is a pity because the keyboard is a very nice piece of design.

Anyone has seen this issue? Any ideas how to fix this?

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 12:28 PM

jmvelez wrote: For example you can not write the @ symbol using the option + the 2 keys as intended. Now you need to use the option + Q keys

Which key types what is normally determined by your settings in System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources, not by anything in your hardware keyboard. Go there and make sure that you have ONLY ONE ITEM on the list, and that the name of that item matches your keyboard language.

Having @ on Option Q is often from having German Standard or Latin American input sources active by mistake. If you see them on the list, use the minus button to remove them.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2022 12:28 PM in response to jmvelez

jmvelez wrote: For example you can not write the @ symbol using the option + the 2 keys as intended. Now you need to use the option + Q keys

Which key types what is normally determined by your settings in System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources, not by anything in your hardware keyboard. Go there and make sure that you have ONLY ONE ITEM on the list, and that the name of that item matches your keyboard language.

Having @ on Option Q is often from having German Standard or Latin American input sources active by mistake. If you see them on the list, use the minus button to remove them.

Aug 4, 2022 1:40 PM in response to jmvelez

jmvelez wrote:

It is the language settings that was creating the problem. Thank you.

It is really sad that the Apple support people you consulted earlier apparently did not understand this very basic part of how MacOS works.

The correct Input Source for a non-Latin-American Spanish keyboard is "Spanish ISO".

What is the Difference Between Apple's Sp… - Apple Community

Reset magic keyboard to factory conditions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.