Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there malware on my iPhone?

For a few days now, when I'm on this (foreign) newspaper's comments page, occasionally I get this "thing" taking over the screen while making some weird "ping" sound, and the only thing I can do is swipe it aside. This one is "from Xfinity," which is my internet provider, but couple days earlier I got a similar thing from "Google," which I was actually tempted to scroll down to fill up the info (not personal) to realize this is BS.

So what is this? Malware?

And should I start looking for any products to protect my phone?

I use the most updated iOS version out there.

iPhone X, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 1:46 PM

No need to invest because you can find free ad blockers. As long as you take time to ask yourself if the message for real, these protections should not be needed. Check this link...

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841

and this link...

Scam Pop-ups, Scam Viruses, Scam Receipts… - Apple Community

I personally use a couple of free Ad Blockers to avoid the ads.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2022 1:46 PM in response to amifromskokie

No need to invest because you can find free ad blockers. As long as you take time to ask yourself if the message for real, these protections should not be needed. Check this link...

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841

and this link...

Scam Pop-ups, Scam Viruses, Scam Receipts… - Apple Community

I personally use a couple of free Ad Blockers to avoid the ads.

Aug 4, 2022 1:31 PM in response to amifromskokie

amifromskokie wrote:

The question is, as any detective would ask, "what's the motive, what's in it for them?"

Motive? I can think of several:

• Gain access to your Apple ID credentials.
  • Gain access to your other financial account credentials.
  • Steal your identity.
  • Steal your money.

Nefarious actors have simply found that it costs them little to nothing to send SPAM, either by email or text messages. It just takes one person to "comply" (aka, click on provided links) with their messages to potentially ruin your life. The key is not to be fooled that these SPAM messages are coming from legitimate sources ... and, determining that is becoming harder as time passes and they get "smarter."

Aug 6, 2022 10:49 AM in response to frazzm737

I'm just curious, still wandering, that pop-up nuisance thingy, same exact thingy, does pop up ONLY WHEN I'M VISITING THAT PARTICULAR (FOREIGN) WEBSITE, which is a well-respected Israeli newspaper site.

Why is that, and what can I do to stop it???

BTW, I downloaded an app called "Security" (see icon), which can do all kinds of checkups but does not prevent that annoying popup thingy to pop up over my screen when I visit that specific site. I guess I'm gonna get rid of it before my 3 free days are up.

Aug 4, 2022 1:24 PM in response to frazzm737

The question is, as any detective would ask, "what's the motive, what's in it for them?" I'm asking, since the first time I got it (from "Google") the form that I scrolled down to gave me some options to chose from (not sure what they asked), but none made sense, and when I chose "other" and clicked the button — it went nowhere, just set there on the screen.

Is there malware on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.