Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing playlists to iPod and losing all existing playlists and music

I tried to sync a playlist to my iPod, not only did it not put the new playlist on, it deleted all the other playlists I had on my iPod and most of the songs I had. What causes that and how do I fix it?

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 4:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 1:31 AM

At a guess, either:

1. you are managing your iPod by using Sync selected playlists, artists, albums and genres and you have changed the selection of music to be synchronised, or
  2. you have synchronised the iPod to a different iTunes Library

iPods can only be synchronised with one library; If you try to sync with another iTunes Library, you would see a message telling you that all existing music would be removed from the iPod if you Sync with this iTunes.

To remedy to fix it depends on what you did to cause it. If you let us know we can advise you further.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2022 1:31 AM in response to gr8g8s

At a guess, either:

1. you are managing your iPod by using Sync selected playlists, artists, albums and genres and you have changed the selection of music to be synchronised, or
  2. you have synchronised the iPod to a different iTunes Library

iPods can only be synchronised with one library; If you try to sync with another iTunes Library, you would see a message telling you that all existing music would be removed from the iPod if you Sync with this iTunes.

To remedy to fix it depends on what you did to cause it. If you let us know we can advise you further.

Syncing playlists to iPod and losing all existing playlists and music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.