Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

im wanting to erase all info on my mac, but still keep microsoft word and google chrome search engines. im giving my sister my computer for her to use for college.how do i do this ?

How do I erase all old messages from my Mac and still keep microsoft word & google chrome intact?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 5:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 2:19 AM

Erase is erase and the process removes all data.

Login under your ID and sign out of your Apple ID. If you're asked do you want to sign out of any other things respond with yes, ok or whatever does the signing out.

Create her an admin user. Login in as that new user and remove your user. When asked do you want to keep your Home folder, respond no and its deletion will remove all your personal data. If you value that data, copy it off first. Or make a Time Machine backup for your use. She should have her own dedicated external drive for TM.

Encourage her to change the password you set up to a stong one she can remember.

She should also either create an Apple ID or sign in using her existing one.

The OS and all apps will be undisturbed.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2022 2:19 AM in response to mccayla97

Erase is erase and the process removes all data.

Login under your ID and sign out of your Apple ID. If you're asked do you want to sign out of any other things respond with yes, ok or whatever does the signing out.

Create her an admin user. Login in as that new user and remove your user. When asked do you want to keep your Home folder, respond no and its deletion will remove all your personal data. If you value that data, copy it off first. Or make a Time Machine backup for your use. She should have her own dedicated external drive for TM.

Encourage her to change the password you set up to a stong one she can remember.

She should also either create an Apple ID or sign in using her existing one.

The OS and all apps will be undisturbed.

im wanting to erase all info on my mac, but still keep microsoft word and google chrome search engines. im giving my sister my computer for her to use for college.how do i do this ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.