Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook Pro Retina (Early 2015) won't let me upgrade to Monterey.

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade my macbook pro (Early 2015, A1502) to macOS Monterey (12.5) and it doesn't seem to be working. I know the update can run on this laptop; it was running perfectly fine before I tried to factory reset it, where I accidentally wiped the whole SSD, including the macOS. I then followed the steps, and then it booted up to OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite). Every time I try to upgrade it via the app store, it says my apple id is wrong. This is false for sure as I get a sign-in prompt with a verification code everytime I put the password in. I tried 2 Apple IDs, made sure they're the right password by logging in on them on my iPhone, and then tried here again. The Apple ID password works for unlocking the computer, but doesn't work for the logging in of the App Store. Help please?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 9:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 8:07 AM

UPDATE: I fixed it.

This is a long process but I'll explain incase anybody else ever runs into this.

So, for starters, I was on OSX 10.15.0, which is Yosemite. Due to some issue, I wasn't able to log into the App Store and update my software via the macOS Monterey installer. Then, I went to How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support (CA), where I scrolled down to the bottom till I found Use Safari to download macOS on your Mac. I then clicked on macOS Sierra (since it was a safari dmg download and not an app store installer like the other 4 softwares mentioned above it) following which I then installed the macOS Sierra installer, post which I successfully installed macOS Sierra. I then came back to the same exact Use Safari to download macOS site, where I clicked on Mojave via the App Store. For some reason, it allowed me to download Mojave through the App Store without having to log in. Since Mojave started downloading, I cancelled the download for the Mojave installer, searched up Monterey in the search bar, clicked on it, and clicked download.

It then installed the Monterey installer, following which it installed Monterey like how it did previously. I am currently typing this on the very same Macbook, which is on macOS Monterey 12.5.

Thanks for all the help.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2022 8:07 AM in response to sidharth1503

UPDATE: I fixed it.

This is a long process but I'll explain incase anybody else ever runs into this.

So, for starters, I was on OSX 10.15.0, which is Yosemite. Due to some issue, I wasn't able to log into the App Store and update my software via the macOS Monterey installer. Then, I went to How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support (CA), where I scrolled down to the bottom till I found Use Safari to download macOS on your Mac. I then clicked on macOS Sierra (since it was a safari dmg download and not an app store installer like the other 4 softwares mentioned above it) following which I then installed the macOS Sierra installer, post which I successfully installed macOS Sierra. I then came back to the same exact Use Safari to download macOS site, where I clicked on Mojave via the App Store. For some reason, it allowed me to download Mojave through the App Store without having to log in. Since Mojave started downloading, I cancelled the download for the Mojave installer, searched up Monterey in the search bar, clicked on it, and clicked download.

It then installed the Monterey installer, following which it installed Monterey like how it did previously. I am currently typing this on the very same Macbook, which is on macOS Monterey 12.5.

Thanks for all the help.

Aug 4, 2022 9:37 PM in response to sidharth1503

Hmm, that's strange, if you cannot install macOS Monterey try checking your storage, I am not sure about that app store one, better to contact support. There might be software issues with your mac like I upgraded to macOS Monterey 12.4 and Siri stops working, it cannot launch apps, just like that you may not have installed any software properly and you have these glitches, also try using safe mode.

Aug 5, 2022 12:11 AM in response to sidharth1503

use safe mode, to use safe mode in intel based macs restart your mac and then press the shift key as soon as you see the apple logo and log in, you should see safe boot in the menu bar, to use safe mode on apple silicon macs shut down your mac and wait till your mac is shut down completely, then keep holding the power button until "loading startup options" appear then select a volume and keep holding the shift key and then click continue in safe mode, the computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar. If the app store is not working it is better to contact support, use safe mode if it works then no need to contact support, does it work after using safe mode?

My Macbook Pro Retina (Early 2015) won't let me upgrade to Monterey.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.