Trying to upgrade my macbook Air 13-inch, Early 2014 from OS X 10.9.5 (13F1911) to macOS Big Sur.

When trying to download macOS big Sur, I went as far as pressing the "get" button on the Mac App Store and a pop up appears for me to insert my apple ID and Password.

I am new to Apple, therefor i created an apple ID and verified it.

However the issue is that it keeps on saying that my Apple ID or Password is incorrect, which i know for certain it aint.

Any advice please im losing my mind now.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 6:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 6:39 PM

Michael6105 Said:

"Trying to upgrade my macbook Air 13-inch, Early 2014 from OS X 10.9.5 (13F1911) to macOS Big Sur.: [...]However the issue is that it keeps on saying that my Apple ID or Password is incorrect, which i know for certain it aint. Any advice please im losing my mind now."

-------

Upgrading the macOS:

Logging In with Your Account:

Is this a pre-owned Mac? If so, then take this back to the seller, and have them log out of iCloud on it. This is the link the seller should have used prior to selling it to you, including the iCloud logout: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, Trade In, or Recycle your Mac - Apple Support. The seller should have known better.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2023 6:39 PM in response to Michael6105

Michael6105 Said:

"Trying to upgrade my macbook Air 13-inch, Early 2014 from OS X 10.9.5 (13F1911) to macOS Big Sur.: [...]However the issue is that it keeps on saying that my Apple ID or Password is incorrect, which i know for certain it aint. Any advice please im losing my mind now."

-------

Upgrading the macOS:

Logging In with Your Account:

Is this a pre-owned Mac? If so, then take this back to the seller, and have them log out of iCloud on it. This is the link the seller should have used prior to selling it to you, including the iCloud logout: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, Trade In, or Recycle your Mac - Apple Support. The seller should have known better.

Aug 31, 2023 6:39 PM in response to Michael6105

Michael6105 Said:

-------

Upgrading the macOS:

For future reference...

Updating the macOS:

Determining which Update(s) will Install:

I. Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See if the Model you found is shown here:

III. If Compatible:

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

Sep 1, 2023 7:05 AM in response to Michael6105

Michael6105 Said:

"Trying to upgrade my macbook Air 13-inch, Early 2014 from OS X 10.9.5 (13F1911) to macOS Big Sur.: [...]I already determined the compatibility, and it should work on my device

———-

Upgrading the macOS:

Important to Know:

Back Up your Mac First:

Prior ro making any major change to your Mac, be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade.

A. Is this Pre-Owned?:

So, is this a previously-owned device? If so, and you never had the original owner log themselves out of iCloud on it, then you may be out of luck. So, take this to the peering who is currently signed in to iCloud on it, and have them perform as instructed here, including the iCloud logout: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, Trade in, or Recycle your Mac - Apple Support

B. Try Installing Using a New Administrator.

For temporary use, try creating a new Administrator user, seeing if you can install it through that user. Once installed, save what need be, and then log into you original user that is gong your this issue. Once logged in, trash the Temporary Administrator user you’ve just created. Go Here: Add a User or Group on Mac - Apple Support

Trying to upgrade my macbook Air 13-inch, Early 2014 from OS X 10.9.5 (13F1911) to macOS Big Sur.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.