Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad mini 2 last iOS

Why my iPad can’t upgrade ? To the higher ios , like iPhone .

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 10:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 10:29 PM

p1t5t0p87 Said:

"iPad mini 2 last iOS: Why my iPad can’t upgrade ? To the higher ios , like iPhone ."

-------

Updating an iPad:

Do so by using a compatible device, and reliable connection.

I. Start Here: If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t Update - Apple Support

II. Verify Compatibility:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: About
  4. View: the model shown

Then, see if the device is shown here:

Go here: iPad Models Compatible with iPadOS 15.5 - Apple Support

III. If compatible...

Use of a Computer to Update:

My User Tip: Making Use of a Computer for Updating an iOS Device - User Tip

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2022 10:29 PM in response to p1t5t0p87

p1t5t0p87 Said:

"iPad mini 2 last iOS: Why my iPad can’t upgrade ? To the higher ios , like iPhone ."

-------

Updating an iPad:

Do so by using a compatible device, and reliable connection.

I. Start Here: If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t Update - Apple Support

II. Verify Compatibility:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: About
  4. View: the model shown

Then, see if the device is shown here:

Go here: iPad Models Compatible with iPadOS 15.5 - Apple Support

III. If compatible...

Use of a Computer to Update:

My User Tip: Making Use of a Computer for Updating an iOS Device - User Tip

Aug 5, 2022 9:44 AM in response to p1t5t0p87

The first generation iPad Air, iPad mini2 and mini3 can only be updated to iOS 12.5.5.

Apple ended major update support for these models of iPad in September 2019 - although they continued to receive occasional “point” security updates until late last year. These devices cannot be updated to iPadOS 13 (or any later major versions of iPadOS) as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements (CPU and RAM) for newer versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Some App developers have dropped support for iOS versions preceding iOS 13.x for technical reasons (often because APIs or software libraries upon which they rely have been updated in the new version of iPadOS, making their App incompatible with earlier versions). 

Whilst many App titles remain compatible with your iPad, if you want or need to access to Apps requiring the most recent versions of iOS, you’ll need to consider replacement of your iPad with a newer or current model that supports iPadOS15.

Whether or not you are able to update any iPad to a newer version of iOS/iPadOS will be dictated by the iPad model - and the currently installed version of iOS. You can find this information here:

Settings > General > About

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

Here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.5

Newer models, not appearing in this list, are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 15.6

If your iPad is capable of being updated to a more recent version of iOS/iPadOS than is currently installed, these support pages outline both the available methods by which the update can be performed - and troubleshooting should you experience difficulties:

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

iOS update and restore errors – Apple Support

iPad mini 2 last iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.