Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Intel 670p Series M.2 SSD compatible with Early 2013 MacBook Pro Retina?

Hello,

I wish to install a new SSD in my Early 2013 MacBook Pro Retina.

Crucial no longer carries drives specifically for this old a machine, but I do have a brand new Intel 670p Series M.2 SSD.

However, there are no specs on the box or on the Intel website for even the basic voltage and amperage.

And, I'm not sure if just matching V and A is sufficient to confirm compatibility.

Wondering if anyone out there is familiar with this drive and has been successful installing one on a MacBook Pro.

Thanks very much for any advice.

--C

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 6:18 AM

The consensus is that standard drives do not work directly in the proprietary MacBook Pro slots.

In the US (and selected other places) OWC macsales.com has the expertise to sell you a drive (their private label OWC brand in most cases, but their drives are good) that works first time every time.

You MAY be able to track down an adapter by reading huge swathes of hobbyist sites, but no guarantee of good results.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2022 6:18 AM in response to chris0959

The consensus is that standard drives do not work directly in the proprietary MacBook Pro slots.

In the US (and selected other places) OWC macsales.com has the expertise to sell you a drive (their private label OWC brand in most cases, but their drives are good) that works first time every time.

You MAY be able to track down an adapter by reading huge swathes of hobbyist sites, but no guarantee of good results.

Aug 5, 2022 6:18 AM in response to chris0959

It's not directly compatible. The Early 2013 MacBook Pro uses a proprietary connector that is not a regular PCIe socket. If you can find an adapter, you may be able to use the drive. But you cannot connect the drive directly to the Mac.

Otherwise, see here: link-> https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-pro-retina-display/2012-2013

Is Intel 670p Series M.2 SSD compatible with Early 2013 MacBook Pro Retina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.