Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix login screen interface glitch

My login screen got all messed up somehow and it's displaying the password input section all weird. When I login, it stays stuck on the back wallpaper for 20 seconds before going to my normal wallpaper. Just wondering if there's a way to fix this. After it started I upgraded to the latest macos and that didn't fix it. You'll see in my screenshot, the password box is really wide and overlaps the text above. Thoughts?

Mac Studio

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 10:10 AM

Before erasing and reinstalling the system give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2022 10:10 AM in response to Jakebot

Before erasing and reinstalling the system give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Aug 9, 2022 12:14 PM in response to Jakebot

As you've tried reinstalling macOS, I doubt this will do much- but you could try resetting the SMC and/or PRAM-

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

As it seems to be purely cosmetic, I don't know if factory resetting the computer is necessary. If you have a backup and it bothers you this much, you might want to try it. (To be honest, I don't know what it would accomplish. Reinstalling macOS should have fixed it).

How to fix login screen interface glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.