Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your passwords have appeared in a data leak

All of my passwords stored in safari have always displayed that they have been in a data leak since the feature was added. I change them, the warning comes back a day or two later.

So Google passwords are always saying they have been leaked on the iphone. Google denies there was any data leak, Apple says my Google data is compromised and has appeared in a leak.

Who is telling the truth? Why do several password changes never clear the warning that its been leaked?

iPhone 12

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 1:29 PM

Certainly interesting (troubling) that this is occurring with complex, machine-generated passwords … 🤔

FWIW, these two articles explain how it is supposed to work:

Password security recommendations – Apple Support (AU)

Password Monitoring – Apple Support (AU)

5 replies

Aug 5, 2022 1:07 PM in response to jenkweb

jenkweb wrote:

All of my passwords stored in safari have always displayed that they have been in a data leak since the feature was added. I change them, the warning comes back a day or two later.

So Google passwords are always saying they have been leaked on the iphone. Google denies there was any data leak, Apple says my Google data is compromised and has appeared in a leak.

Who is telling the truth? Why do several password changes never clear the warning that its been leaked?

Means that password you're using has already been guessed or isn't strong enough for a lack of better term. Are you using 8 to 16 character with numbers, symbol, lower and upper case?

Aug 5, 2022 1:16 PM in response to razmee209

I use the apple recommended passwords when changing usually, or strong security with random number symbols and characters. I just think its strange to change a password it says has been part of a leak, then it pops up again repeatedly not long after that. Google really threw me off as it appears they are leaking their user data several times a week according to apple's messages. I just now turned off all the security recommendations as I don't think they are accurate.

Aug 8, 2022 2:18 PM in response to Chattanoogan

Thanks I've turned off the alerts for now, I think they are misleading at best even after reading their explanation of dark web intrigue. I suspect it has to do with my user names and email addresses appearing in leaked data more than my passwords being public that I just changed a few days ago. Most are two factor as well which is not taken into account when they tell me I should change all my credentials again.

Your passwords have appeared in a data leak

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.